Thursday, 9 May 2013

Printed Book! and evaluation

Here are a few images of how the book turned out, really happy with the print quality and how it all came together.


In this project I intended to improve on my 2d concept and design skills, and I think I have successfully improved in these areas. I have also improved my workflow and the speed I am able to concept and paint. By choosing a project that covered the majority of the different areas of concept art from characters, creatures, weapons, vehicles and environments I have built up a better understanding of each subject and have developed a much more varied portfolio. This project was a great opportunity for me as it gave me the chance to work as a concept artist would work in the industry, to concept and design from descriptions set by designers or lead artists. I didn’t encounter many problems with this project, but I do think if I was on a master’s course I could at least have doubled the work and even further increased my skills and knowledge but with working alongside other projects I had to limit the amount of work I could do because of other deadlines. From completing this project I now onwards I have a better understanding and a better workflow to work on other projects similar to this to further my portfolio. For example I could use another book as a starting point to create another series of work to create something completely different from what I have done in this project; this could explore different styles and various painting techniques.

Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Makelyne and Dragon final.....i think

calling this piece done now.. again. I think its much better than how it was before so I'm glad i took the time to redo it.

Saturday, 4 May 2013

Making revisions!

One of the tutors had mentioned that this painting would look better on a more wider canvas, i agreed but had to move on to get other work finished in time... luckily i have a bit of time now to go back over the work i had done this year. I am pleased that i have as i can see the improvements already from this quick paint-over, I'm hoping the changes shouldn't take to long as the stuff Ive added in is outside the focal point so doesn't need to be too detailed! its nice to look back over the year though wish a fresh view on everything and make the changes to improve my work.

Thursday, 25 April 2013

Final scene

Calling this one done now. Time to go back through the work I've done this year to make any changes then its about time i start putting the book together!

Wednesday, 24 April 2013


Some more progress on the final scene, almost there. I'm going to have to call it a day on this one soon.

Sunday, 21 April 2013

Hookmen scene wip

Not uploaded any progress in a while.
Here's a wip for the Hookmen scene, its changed quite a bit. I decided to go with a more blue-ish/green colour palette as it's what i originally thought the scene would be like, to make it look all murky. I have a fair bit to do on this but hopefully i can get it finished soon so i can start putting the final book together!

Monday, 15 April 2013

Narrowing down options

Ive narrowed my choices down to these two concepts... although I'm not  sure which to go with now! will have to get some feedback to hopefully move forward and get some progress done for this piece as times running out!